Saturday, October 4, 2014

Paint Party!

I have started volunteering at KIPP Primary School. The school is really nice, and one thing I really like about the school, is that they name each classroom by a college. For instance, some of the classroom names are: Tulane, LSU,  and Xavier. Each classroom has its own college. I think it is really great for the kids to be exposed to colleges so young. When I was growing up, I did not really know the names of any college (only that my mom wanted me to go to college) and these kids are not only exposed to colleges in Louisiana, but through out the country. The school really emphasizes growth and going further with school. It really feels like a positive atmosphere for the children.

Some of the stuff I have been doing so far is help the teachers in preparing their projects or supplies for the students. This weekend I helped prepare and paint some of the columns in the school to liven it up. There were many volunteers, but one stood out to me. This little girl came with her mom and sister to help paint the columns, and she ended up having me carry her everywhere! She was the cutest thing ever, and by the end of the day she wouldn't let me go. I had to carry her to the front door when her mom and sister were leaving, and slowly peel her off of me. She was unbelievably sweet and helpful. Her and her sister kept wanting to help everyone paint.




Here are a few pictures of us preparing to paint.



On Friday, Vihas, Evy, and I had to tape around the perimeters of the columns on the first floor of the school and place plastic to protect the floors from paint. Saturday was the "paint party!"



Kayla and I having some pizza and salad.


Volunteer: 12hrs
      5 hrs total (9/18 and 9/24)
      2 hrs 10/3
      5 hrs 10/4



No comments:

Post a Comment